Green Wave sweep Temple 4-0 in quarters
LAKE NONA, Fla. – For the third consecutive year the Tulane men’s tennis team will be headed to the semifinals of the American Athletic Conference Championships after the No. 2 seeded Green Wave swept No. 7 seeded Temple, 4-0, on Friday afternoon. The Olive and Blue won the doubles point and received singles victories from its three freshmen, Ewan Moore, Luis Erlenbusch and Tim Ruetzel.
“It was a tough match today. Temple really stepped up in doubles and pushed us right from the start,” Tulane head coach Mark Booras said. “It was nice to see our guys raise their levels and come out of there with the 1-0 lead. Everyone had to raise their position in singles but I liked what they did. They all stepped up to the challenge. We always talk about facing adversity.”
Moore and Tyler Schick got the ball rolling in doubles with an efficient 6-2 win on court two. Then, the 88th ranked doubles pair of Chi-Shan Jao and Sebastian Rey clinched on court one via a 6-4 final.
Next, a youth movement occurred in singles as a trio of Tulane freshmen punched the Wave’s ticket to the semifinal. Erlenbusch wrapped first with a 6-2, 6-1, win on court four. Moore followed closely behind with a 6-3, 6-0, win on court two. It marked his 15th dual victory on the season, which ties Constantin Schmitz for the most on the team.
Then Ruetzel, whose last dual match took place back on Feb. 25, was inserted into the lineup just minutes before singles got underway and appropriately clinched on court six with a 6-3, 6-2 win.
Up next, the Green Wave will return to action on Saturday, at 11 a.m. CT, when they clash with No. 3 seeded, and No. 31 nationally ranked UCF, in the semifinal round.
GREEN WAVE RESULTS
#27 Tulane 4, Temple 0
Singles competition – 4, 2, 6
1. Sebastian Rey (TLN) vs. Artem Kapshuk (TEM) 4-6, 3-2, unfinished
2. Ewan Moore (TLN) def. Florian Mayer (TEM) 6-3, 6-0
3. Tyler Schick (TLN) vs. Thomas Sevel (TEM) 7-6 (7-5), 1-0, unfinished
4. Luis Erlenbusch (TLN) def. Uladzimar Dorash (TEM) 6-2, 6-1
5. Chi-Shan Jao (TLN) vs. Francisco Bohorquez (TEM) 6-3, 2-1, unfinished
6. Tim Ruetzel (TLN) def. Eric Biscoveanu (TEM) 6-3, 6-2
Doubles competition – 2, 1
1. #88 Chi-Shan Jao/Sebastian Rey (TLN) def. Artem Kapshuk/Thomas Sevel (TEM) 6-4
2. Ewan Moore/Tyler Schick (TLN) def. Florian Mayer/Vineet Naran (TEM) 6-2
3. Constantin Schmitz/Luis Erlenbusch (TLN) vs. Francisco Bohorquez/Uladzimar Dorash (TEM) 5-5, unfinished