(New Orleans, La.) Looking to snap a four-match losing streak, the Loyola University New Orleans women’s tennis team welcomed No. 14 LSU-Alexandria to the City Park Tennis Center for a match on Saturday afternoon.
The Generals proved too much for the Wolf Pack on Saturday as the visitors left New Orleans with the 9-0 victory.
With the loss, Loyola drops to 1-5 overall heading into the first Southern States Athletic Conference (SSAC) Round-Up on Feb, 24 in Mobile, Ala. The Wolf Pack will participate in four matches during the two-day round-up, starting with a showdown with No. 8 Middle Georgia State University at 9:00 a.m.
The highlight of Saturday’s match for Loyola was the stellar play of Koral Martinez (SO/Lajas, Puerto Rico) at the No. 1 singles position. After dropping the opening set 5-7, Martinez grabbed set two from LSUA’s Sara Andrade 6-3 to force a tie-breaker. Despite great effort from Martinez throughout, Andrade eventually took the tie-breaking set 10-7 to earn the victory at No. 1 singles.
1. Sara Andrade (LSUA) def. Koral Martinez (LOYNO) 5-7, 6-3, 1-0
2. Gisela Amor (LSUA) def. Nadja Ochsner (FR/Stein, Switzerland) (LOYNO) 6-0, 6-1
3. Laia Charles (LSUA) def. Miranda Cano (FR/Weston, Fla.) (LOYNO) 6-2, 6-0
4. Betsabet Hidalgo (LSUA) def. Margaret Adams (SO/Fairhope, Ala.) (LOYNO) 6-3, 6-0
5. Ariadna Cabezas (LSUA) def. Tori Sutherland (FR/Kenner, La.) (LOYNO) 6-0, 6-0
6. Paula Gordillo (LSUA) def. Ariana Rivera (LOYNO) 6-0, 6-0
1. Gisela Amor/Sara Andrade (LSUA) def. Miranda Cano/Koral Martinez (LOYNO) 8-4
2. Laia Charles/Betsabet Hidalgo (LSUA) def. Nadja Ochsner/Margaret Adams (LOYNO) 8-3
3. Ariadna Cabezas/Paula Gordillo (LSUA) def. Tori Sutherland/Ariana Rivera (LOYNO) 8-2