Junior Federico Boscarino fights back from 5-2 deficit to clinch victory for UNO
LAFAYETTE, Louisiana – The University of New Orleans men’s tennis team overcame a 3-1 deficit against Louisiana-Lafayette on Friday afternoon, winning three-straight singles matches to take a 4-3 victory over the hosts.
With the overall score tied 3-3 and junior Federico Boscarino trailing 5-2 in the third and deciding set, the Tucuman, Argentina native won four-straight games to take a 6-5 lead, losing the next game but winning the tiebreaker to give New Orleans (7-9) the victory.
“It was probably our best match of the year,” head coach Burzis Kanga said. “I couldn’t be prouder of the way we fought back today. We bounced back strong after a flat outing in doubles play to get a big victory over a good Louisiana-Lafayette team.”
Louisiana-Lafayette (13-11) opened up the match with victories on the second and third doubles courts to head into singles play leading 1-0. Sophomore Nicolas Kramer got the Privateers their first point of the match, besting his Louisiana-Lafayette counterpart in straight-sets 6-3, 6-4 to even up the score at 1-all. Following a pair of victories for the Ragin Cajuns, junior Federico Staksrud finished his match, prevailing in three sets 6-2, 4-6, 6-3, while sophomore Jeffrey Hsu bounced back from a 4-6 setback in the opening set at the top flight to win the following two 6-4, 6-3.
The victory snaps a nine-match losing streak for the Privateers against ULL, and is just the fifth time in program history that they have defeated Louisiana-Lafayette.
The Privateers are back in action on Tuesday, April 11, when they host Southern Methodist University.
New Orleans 4, Louisiana 3
1. Jeffrey Hsu (UNO) def. Arthur Libaud (LA) 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
2. Federico Boscarino (UNO) def. Pearse Dolan (LA) 6-3, 4-6, 7-6 (7-5)
3. Federico Staksrud (UNO) def. Vlad Kramarov (LA) 6-2, 4-6, 6-3
4. Nicolas Kramer (UNO) def. Elio Lago (LA) 6-3, 6-4
5. Jamie Fraser (LA) def. Luis Albuquerque (UNO) 6-2, 3-6, 6-4
6. Coleman Wahlborg (LA) def. Giacomo Adoncecchi (UNO) 6-4, 7-5
1. Eric Perez/Coleman Wahlborg (LA) vs. Federico Boscarino/Federico Staksrud (UNO) 4-4, unfinished
2. Jamie Fraser/Arthur Libaud (LA) def. Jeffrey Hsu/Nicolas Kramer (UNO) 6-2
3. Pearse Dolan/Elio Lago (LA) def. Giacomo Adoncecchi/Luis Albuquerque (UNO) 6-0