Nationally-ranked Mustangs best Privateers
NEW ORLEANS – The University of New Orleans men’s tennis team played its second-to-last home match of the season on Tuesday afternoon against No. 36 SMU, losing to the visiting Mustangs 4-0.
New Orleans (7-10) got its best outing at the top flights in singles and doubles action, with both matches ending unfinished. In doubles play, the duo of juniors Federico Boscarino and Federico Staksrud were in a competitive 4-3 match against SMU’s (12-9) top pair before victories for the Mustangs on courts two and three gave them the point. Sophomore Jeffrey Hsu played at the top singles position for the Privateers, winning his first set against nationally-ranked Hunter Johnson 7-6, but the overall match was decided with the score tied 2-2 in the second stanza.
“We knew it was going to be a tough match,” head coach Burzis Kanga said. “SMU is a top-tier team, they did a great job of executing against us and doing what they needed to. I thought Jeffrey [Hsu] did a great job at the top position for us, winning his first set against a strong opponent. We have to learn from this match and continue to grow.”
SMU won at the second and third doubles positions with 6-2 scores to take a 1-0 lead heading into singles play, where they used straight-set decisions at the second, fourth and fifth positions to clinch the match.
The Privateers will honor the seniors from both the men’s and women’s teams on Saturday, April 15 before the women’s 11 a.m. match against Lamar, with the men hitting the road for a 5 p.m. tilt at LSU. UNO finishes the 2017 season at home on Tuesday, April 18, against Xavier University.
#36 SMU 4, New Orleans 0
1. Jeffrey Hsu (UNO) vs. #93 Hunter Johnson (SMU) 7-6, 2-2, unfinished
2. #70 Ronald Slobodchikov (SMU) def. Federico Boscarino (UNO) 6-2, 6-1
3. Federico Staksrud (UNO) vs. Samm Butler (SMU) 2-6, 4-5, unfinished
4. Markus Kerner (SMU) def. Nicolas Kramer (UNO) 6-3, 6-1
5. Tony Russell (SMU) def. Luis Albuquerque (UNO) 6-2, 6-3
6. Giacomo Adoncecchi (UNO) vs. Yates Johnson (SMU) 3-6, 4-5, unfinished
1. Federico Boscarino/Federico Staksrud (UNO) vs. Yates Johnson/Markus Kerner (SMU) 3-4, unfinished
2. Hunter Johnson/Arkadijs Slobodkins (SMU) def. Jeffrey Hsu/Nicolas Kramer (UNO) 6-2
3. Samm Butler/Tony Russell (SMU) def. Luis Albuquerque/Giacomo Adoncecchi (UNO) 6-2