Privateers lose Southland Conference match to Wildcats
NEW ORLEANS – The University of New Orleans men’s tennis team played against Abilene Christian on Saturday afternoon, losing to their Southland Conference foe 6-1.
Junior Giacomo Adoncecchi won New Orleans (5-7, 1-1 Southland Conference) at the sixth position, forcing a third set against his Abilene Christian (14-8, 2-0 Southland Conference) opposition with a 6-4 second set score after losing the tiebreaker in the opening set 8-6. In the pro-style tiebreaker set, the junior prevailed 10-6.
“Abilene Christian is a good team that has great fans,” head coach Burzis Kanga said. “We had plenty of opportunities to take the momentum in the match, but their cheering sections got in our heads and caused us to make mistakes that we we could not recover from.”
The Wildcats won the doubles points with 6-1 victories on courts one and three. In singles play, sophomore Nicolas Kramer lost his opening set 6-1 at the fourth flight and fought hard in the second but lost in the tiebreaker 7-2 while junior Federico Boscarino played at the second position for UNO, losing in straight sets 6-4, 7-5.
Sophomore Jeffrey Hsu, playing at the top position, lost his opener 7-5 but recovered in the sequel for a 6-2 to victory to force a third set, losing the final frame 6-2. Junior Federico Staksrud also lost his opener but won his second set, with 4-6, 6-2 scores, only to lose in the third set 7-5. Senior Luis Albuquerque played at the fifth slot, winning his opener and losing the second set’s tiebreaker point 7-1 and the pro-style third frame 11-9.
Following the conference match, UNO takes a break from league play with a road match at Jackson State on Wednesday, Mar. 29. The Privateers return to the Lakefront on Sunday, Apr. 2 when they host Texas A&M-Corpus Christi.
Abilene Christian 6, New Orleans 1
1. Josh Sheehy (ACU) def. Jeffrey Hsu (UNO) 5-7, 6-2, 6-2
2. Jonathan Sheehy (ACU) def. Federica Boscarino (UNO) 6-4, 7-5
3. Nico Agritelley (ACU) def. Federico Staksrud (UNO) 4-6, 6-2, 7-5
4. Hunter Holman (ACU) def. Nicolas Kramer (UNO) 6-1, 7-6
5. Henry Adams (ACU) def. Luis Albuquerque (UNO) 6-4, 6-7 (1-7), 11-9
6. Giacomo Adoncecchi (UNO) def. Sebastian Langdon (ACU) 6-7 (6-8), 6-4, 10-6
1. Henry Adams/Nico Agritelley (ACU) def. Federica Boscarino/Federico Staksrud (UNO) 6-1
2. Paul M. Domanski/Josh Sheehy (ACU) vs. Jeffrey Hsu/Nicolas Kramer (UNO) 3-5, unfinished
3. Sebastian Langdon/Jonathan Sheehy (ACU) def. Giacomo Adoncecchi/Luis Albuquerque (UNO) 6-1