Green Wave defeat the Tigers, 4-2
BATON ROUGE, La. – The Tulane men’s tennis team (7-1) won its second straight against LSU on Thursday evening, defeating the Tigers, 4-2 on the road. After dropping a quick doubles point, the Green Wave regrouped in singles to win their fourth straight match.
“LSU came out and played a very solid doubles point and beat us in about 15 minutes it seemed like. We had a pretty tough heart to heart conversation with the team before singles about overcoming these types of challenges and obstacles,” Tulane head coach Mark Booras stated. “They responded well and started with a great attitude in singles. Great job by Constantin getting us that first point on the board against a guy who’s given us lots of problems the last few years. Great job by our freshmen coming up with some big wins on the road in a rivalry type match. Also hats off to Tyler for turning it around from a set and 4-2 down to clinch it for us in the third. All-in-all, a great response by our team in a tough road match. It’s always nice to get a win over the team up the river.”
No. 30 Constantin Schmitz got the Wave on the board by earning his third ranked win on the young spring season, knocking off No. 94 Jordan Daigle, 6-3, 6-1. Schmitz remains unblemished in singles, now 6-0 on the year.
The Tigers recaptured the lead at 2-1 after a straight-set victory on court five, but freshman Tim Ruetzel answered the call with a 6-2, 6-3, win on court six over Agie Moreno. With the score now all knotted up, fellow freshman Ewan Moore kept the momentum rolling in the Wave’s favor with a 6-3, 6-3, win on court three vs. Nikola Samardzic. Next, Tyler Schick bounced back after a first set loss to win his next two sets, 7-5, 6-0, for the 4-2 team clinch.
Up next, Tulane looks to take down yet another SEC foe in Mississippi State in Starkville on Friday, Feb. 24, at 3 p.m. CT.
GREEN WAVE RESULTS
Tulane 4, LSU 2
Singles competition – 1, 5, 6, 3, 4
1. #30 Constantin Schmitz (TLN) def. #94 Jordan Daigle (LSU) 6-3, 6-1
2. #41 Justin Butsch (LSU) vs. Sebastian Rey (TLN) 4-6, 5-5, unfinished
3. Ewan Moore (TLN) def. Nikola Samardzic (LSU) 6-3, 6-3
4. Tyler Schick (TLN) def. Rafael Wagner (LSU) 1-6, 7-5, 6-0
5. Gabor Csonka (LSU) def. Luis Erlenbusch (TLN) 6-3, 6-2
6. Tim Ruetzel (TLN) def. Agie Moreno (LSU) 6-2, 6-3
Doubles competition – 1, 2
1. Jordan Daigle/Justin Butsch (LSU) def. Sebastian Rey/Chi-Shan Jao (TLN) 6-1
2. Gabor Csonka/Julian Saborio (LSU) def. Ewan Moore/Luis Erlenbusch (TLN) 6-2
3. Rafael Wagner/Agie Moreno (LSU) vs. Constantin Schmitz/Tyler Schick (TLN) 2-5, unfinished