Privateers fall to Islanders in Southland Conference semifinals
BEAUMONT, Texas – The University of New Orleans women’s tennis team, making their second-ever appearance in the Southland Conference semifinals, faced off with top-seed Texas A&M-Corpus Christi in the second round on Saturday afternoon, losing to the No. 1 seed 4-1.
Junior Anja Luethi posted New Orleans’ (15-9) lone singles victory in the contest, prevailing 3-6, 6-3, 6-1.
“This was an emotional match,” head coach Burzis Kanga said. “We were in total control in doubles, we were leading on every court but we lost at the top-two positions which changed the outcome of the match. I was worried they were not going to be able to recover from doubles psychologically, but they fought back valiantly and never gave up.”
The Privateers jumped out to an early lead in the battle for the doubles point, as sophomores Trang Dao and Brittany Johnson defeated their Texas A&M-Corpus Christi (6-3) counterparts 6-3 on the third doubles court. The Islanders took the 1-0 lead heading into singles action with competitive 7-5 victories at the top-two positions.
In singles action, Corpus Christi took straight-set victories on courts six and four with identical 6-3, 6-2 decisions to move one point away from advancing to the championship match. Luethi kept the Privateers alive with her three-set triumph, making it a 3-1 contest before a three-set loss for Dao at the top slot ended the contest.
The Privateers end the season with a plethora of individuals setting career-highs during 2017. Dao and Johnson both set new career-highs for wins in both singles doubles play with 15 and 10 wins individually plus 13 and nine in doubles, while Luethi set a personal-best in doubles triumphs with 13.
Senior Anna Segarra Rius leaves the Privateers after a successful career, finishing her collegiate career with a 52-19 singles record and 34-23 in doubles.
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 4, New Orleans 1
1. Hortense Boscher (AMCC) def. Trang Dao (UNO) 6-2, 2-6, 7-6 (7-4)
2. Anja Luethi (UNO) def. Jelena Dzinic (AMCC) 3-6, 6-3, 6-1
3. Louise Trigona (AMCC) vs. Anna Segarra Rius (UNO) 5-7, 6-2, 3-5, unfinished
4. Judit Vives (AMCC) def. Claudette Gilhespie (UNO) 6-3, 6-2
5. Maria Maldonado (AMCC) vs. Yasmine Rashad (UNO) 6-2, 5-7, 5-5, unfinished
6. Marina Vicens Miquel (AMCC) def. Brittany Johnson (UNO) 6-3, 6-2
1. Jelena Dzinic/Judit Vives (AMCC) def. Anna Segarra Rius/Anja Luethi (UNO) 7-5
2. Hortense Boscher/Louise Trigona (AMCC) def. Claudette Gilhespie/Yasmine Rashad (UNO) 7-5
3. Trang Dao/Brittany Johnson (UNO) def. Marina Vicens Miquel/Maria Maldonado (AMCC) 6-3