NEW ORLEANS — Tennis players Sha’Nel Bruins and Karan Salwan received Xavier University of Louisiana Medal of Honor awards Wednesday evening during an athletic department ceremony which honored all nine XU teams.
The Medal of Honor was presented to the senior female and male student-athlete who best define the qualities of scholarship, athletics, leadership and service.
Bruins, from Colfax, La., and a graduate of Grant High School, has been named Gulf Coast Athletic Conference Player of the Week six times in her career, and as a junior she was named to the GCAC Honor Roll, ITA Scholar-Athlete, Daktronics-NAIA Scholar-Athlete and Arthur Ashe Jr. Sports Scholar. A business administration major, Bruins recently was named the outstanding student-athlete in XULA’s Division of Business.
Salwan, a business management major from from New Delhi, India, and a graduate of Modern School, was first-team NAIA All-America a year ago, ITA Scholar-Athlete and Louisiana Newcomer of the Year for a XULA team that finished second in the national tournament. He helped lead the tennis program’s coordination of a 2017 campus drive to collect toiletries for the Salvation Army.
Medal of Honor finalists were Kayla Jones of women’s volleyball (Kansas City, Kan./Piper High School), Terri Cunningham of women’s track and field (Nashville, Tenn./Martin Luther King Magnet High School) and Adam Albrecht of men’s tennis (Ladna, Czech Republic, and Gymnasium Breclav).
Additional recipients were:
• Male Athlete of the Year: Antoine Richard, tennis (Laval, Quebec/LeTremplin) . . . Salwan was a finalist.
• Female Athlete of the Year: Juliana Tomasoni, volleyball (Nova Trento, Brazil/Francisco Mazzola School and Northeastern Oklahoma A&M College) . . . Finalists were Charlene Goreau, tennis (Toulouse, France/Raymond Naves School) and Maya Trench, basketball (Edgard, La./West St. John High School).
• Male Senior Scholar-Athlete of the Year: Albrecht . . . Salwan was a finalist.
• Female Senior Scholar-Athlete of the Year: Cunningham . . . Finalists were Bruins and Emma Kranendonk, tennis (Heemskerk, The Netherlands/Kennemer College).
• Male Junior Scholar-Athlete of the Year: Ammiel Williams, track and field/cross country (Los Angeles/Hamilton High School).
• Female Junior Scholar-Athlete of the Year: Clarke Allen, track and field (Mendenhall, Miss./Mendenhall High School) . . . Finalists were Tomasoni and Kaelan Temple, volleyball (Houston, Texas/Lamar High School).
• Male Newcomer of the Year: Catalin Fifea, tennis (Bucharest, Romania/General School No. 31) . . . Finalists were Donovan Armstrong, basketball (Round Rock, Texas/Round Rock High School) and Khalil Gallien, track and field (Detroit/Bloomfield Hills High School).
• Female Newcomer of the Year: Amanda Perry, volleyball (Bolingbrook, Ill./Bolingbrook High School) . . . Finalists were Trench and Ry-Anne Riley, track and field (New Orleans/Lusher Charter School).
XULA Events Management Director Nannette Smith received an award as thanks for her service to the department. Outgoing Faculty Athletics Representative Sister Grace Mary Flickinger also was cited for her nearly 40 years of service to the department.