NATCHITOCHES – The Northwestern State Lady Demons’ tennis team improved to 9-3 on the season with a 7-0 sweep of Nicholls on Sunday.
The Lady Demons ninth-straight win pushed their record 2-0 in Southland Conference competition and a perfect 6-0 at home. With the loss, Nicholls (6-4, 1-3 Southland) has dropped two consecutive Southland Conference matches.
“We played smart and stayed focused through the whole match,” third year head coach Olga Bazhanova said. “The Nicholls team is talented and uncomfortable to play. We were patient, stayed focused and moved forward.””
Northwestern State lit the courts on fire in the middle of a cool, 56-degree afternoon, quickly sweeping doubles with wins on courts two and three and rolling through the first three matches of singles to secure the match point at singles No. 4.
“Our girls fought hard and have an incredible team spirit and intensity,” Bazhanova said.
Freshman Emilija Dancetovic picked up her fourth match-clinching point of the season with a 6-2, 6-1 win over the Colonel’s Mariia Kozachok in No. 4 singles.
Setting up Dancetovic was sophomore Iryna Vardanian and freshman Judit Castillo with straight-set victories on courts two and six, respectively.
Vardanian improved to 7-2 in singles while Castillo upped her record to 6-1.
During the nine-match winning streak, only once have the Lady Demons dropped the doubles point.
The hot start in doubles has been spurred on by several dominant performances by Dancetovic and junior Polina Ivanova.
Dancetovic and Ivanova are now 8-2 in the No. 2 slot. Their 6-1 win over Kozachok and Changwei Wei was their eighth consecutive win as well.
Freshmen Vladislava Litvinova and Kateryna Avram secured the opening point for the Lady Demons with a 6-4 win on court three.
Up next for the Lady Demons is McNeese State. The Cowgirls are (7-6, 2-0 Southland) and have one of the conference’s best in Hannah Brett.
“It will be a tough match tomorrow,” Bazhanova said. “We have to play intense and stay very focused. Our girls have an amazing team chemistry and are unified. We are looking forward to a tough battle tomorrow.”
Monday’s match is scheduled for 12 p.m. at the Jack Fisher Tennis Complex. As always, admission is free to all home Lady Demon tennis matches.
Northwestern State 7, Nicholls 0
1. Polina Ivanova (NWST) def. Lingfeng Gu (NICH) 7-6 (7-2), 6-2
2. Iryna Vardanian (NWST) def. Clemence Krug (NICH) 6-3, 6-1
3. Polina Mutel (NWST) def. Ambika Pande (NICH) 6-4, retired
4. Emilija Dancetovic (NWST) def. Mariia Kozachok (NICH) 6-2, 6-1
5. Vladislava Litvinova (NWST) def. Changwei Wei (NICH) 4-6, 6-4, 10-7
6. Judit Castillo (NWST) def. Andrea Mastrippolito (NICH) 6-1, 6-2
1. Clemence Krug/Lingfeng Gu (NICH) vs. Iryna Vardanian/Polina Mutel (NWST) no result
2. Polina Ivanova/Emilija Dancetovic (NWST) def. Mariia Kozachok/Changwei Wei (NICH) 6-1
3. Kateryna Avram/Vladislava Litvinova (NWST) def. Ambika Pande/Andrea Mastrippolito (NICH) 6-4
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (6,2,4,3,1,5)
Nicholls 6-4, 1-3
Northwestern State 9-3, 2-0