Little Rock, AR (Sports Network) - On the game's final play, Louisiana-Monroe quarterback Kolton Browning scampered for a 16-yard touchdown run on 4th-and-1 to give the Warhawks the upset victory over No. 8 Arkansas, 34-31, in overtime at War Memorial Stadium.
Browning was sensational, orchestrating offensive possessions that led to 21 unanswered points to tie the game at 28 and send it to overtime. The junior quarterback completed 42 of his 68 attempted passes, throwing for three touchdowns and 412 yards for the Warhawks (1-0).
The Razorbacks (1-1) were decimated by injuries over the course of the game.
Starting quarterback Tyler Wilson threw for two touchdowns and 191 yards in the early going, but sustained an injury above his shoulders late in the second quarter and did not return.
Starting cornerback Tevin Mitchel and starting full back Kody Walker were both carted off the field within plays of each other in the fourth quarter. Mitchel sustained an injury above his shoulders as well, but was verbally responsive. Walker appeared to suffer a left leg injury.
The Razorbacks squandered a 28-7 lead, as backup quarterback Brandon Allen failed to orchestrate cohesion offensively after throwing a touchdown pass on the Razorbacks' first drive of the second half. He finished 6-of-20 for 85 yards and a touchdown with one interception.
ULM - C. Donald, four-yard TD reception from K. Browning (J. Manton XP good), 12-67 5:03 (7-0 ULM)
Arkansas - J. Horton 20-yard TD reception from T. Wilson (Z. Hooker XP good), 9-75 2:34 (7-7 Tie)
Arkansas - C. Hamilton 39-yard TD reception from T. Wilson (Z. Hooker XP good), 7-80 3:02 (14-7 Ark.)
Arkansas - K. Davis 3-yard TD run (Z. Hooker XP good), 3, 87 1:00 (21-7 Ark.)
Arkansas - M. McKay 13-yard TD reception from B. Allen (Z. Hooker XP good) 8-66 2:59 (28-7 Ark.)
ULM - J. Edwards 3-yard TD run (J.Manton XP good) 9-75 4:01 (28-14 Ark.)
ULM -K. Steed 1-yard TD reception from K. Browning (J.Manton XP good), 11-39 5:34 (28-21 Ark.)
ULM- B. Leonard 23-yard TD reception from K. Browning (J. Manton XP good), 10-90 2:12 (28-28 Tie)
Arkansas- Z. Hooker 37-yard FG (31-28 Ark.)
ULM- K. Browning 16-yard TD run (35-31 ULM)
POST-GAME QUOTES: ULM 34, #8/10 ARKANSAS 31 - F/OT
Head Coach Todd Berry
"I'm obviously really excited for our football team. They put in a tremendous amount of work. There were a certain amount of people who doubted us over a period of time, and I understand that, certainly last year with the large amount of injuries."
"I think we had a chance to grow up and mature. They had a chance to do that together, and I think this group has got some great character."
"We certainly didn't play perfect. We played against a very, very good football team. Our will to win is really strong. I'm not questioning their will to win. I'm just saying ours is really strong because I think we've got a lot to prove. I think this team had a chip on its shoulder since last year. I couldn't be prouder of a group of kids or our staff ."
"There's elation that comes with a win. I really felt that we were going to come in and play well. We were able to mitigate a lot of those things that tend to plague that fi rst game. We played a relatively clean game."
"The only way that this becomes real is if we play well again next week against a really good Auburn team. We have our work cut out for us next week, and we look forward to a very diffi cult game at Auburn."
"As a coach and as a player, sometimes you have to step out in faith. I think we have enough playmakers on our team, and I think there's a lot of maturity on this team.
We did this last year, too, but it just didn't always work out for us."
"I don't know how many times we actually went for it on fourth down, probably too many. We converted an awful lot on it. These are things we work on in practice.
When we go for it on fourth down, our guys aren't shocked. They expect it."
• ULM Captains: QB Kolton Browning, LB R.J. Young, S Brandon Hardy.
• ULM won the opening coin toss and deferred to the second half.
• The game vs. #8 Arkansas marked the fi fth consecutive season that the Warhawks opened the season against a ranked foe (at #10 Auburn ; at #2 Texas ,
vs. #14 Arkansas ; at #5 Florida State )... The last time ULM won a season opener came on August 31, 2006 when the Warhawks defeated Alcorn State,
24-6, at Malone Stadium.
• ULM scored on its fi rst possession of the game with a 12-play, 67-yard drive that took 5:03... ULM scored in the fi rst quarter in 8-of-12 games in 2011.
• ULM was 6/7 on 4th down in the game... In 2011 the team fi nished 12/27 (44%).
• ULM's 34 points are the most against a team from a BCS conference since tallying 20 in the season-opener at #2 Texas on Sept. 5, 2009.
• ULM is now 1-23 all-time vs. Ranked Opponents
• ULM is now 1-9 all-time vs. Arkansas (series started in 1996)
• ULM is now 6-2 all-time in overtime games... It is the fi rst OT victory for ULM under Coach Berry
• ULM 4-37 against current teams in the SEC
• ULM's win is the fi rst Sun Belt victory over a top-10 team ever... It is just the second win over a ranked team by a Sun Belt school (Troy def. Missouri, 2004)
• QB Kolton Browning made his 25th consecutive start Saturday.
• QB Kolton Browning's TD pass to RB Centarius Donald in the fi rst quarter was Browning's 32nd career TD pass... It was Donald's fi rst career TD reception.
• RB Jyruss Edwards notched his 16th career rushing TD with a three-yard score in the third quarter.
• QB Kolton Browning's TD pass to TE Kevin Steed to open the fourth quarter put Browning in a tie for fi fth in school history (Doug Pederson, 33, 1987-90)... The TD
reception by Steed was his second career TD catch.
• QB Kolton Browning's 14-yard pass to Keavon Milton with 8:30 left in 4th moved him into fourth in program history with 510 career completions... He surpassed
Kinsmon Lancaster who tallied 509 completions from 2005-08.
• CB Vincent Eddie's interception of Arkansas QB Tyler Wilson in the 1st Quarter was the third of his Warhawk career.
• Allowed just three points after falling behind 28-7 with 9:42 to play in the third quarter.ME QUOTES: ULM 34, #8/10
SPECIAL TEAM NOTES
• Justin Manton was successful on all four PATs... As a freshman, Manton was successful on his fi rst 32 attempts and fi nished the season 34-of-36.
• 83 Total Plays by QB Kolton Browning is second most in ULM history.
• 103 Total Plays is a single-game school record.
• Kolton Browning fi nished with 481 yards of total off ense which ranks fi fth all time for a single game.
• WR Brent Leonard fi nished with 11 receptions which is tied for fi fth all-time (single-game).
• Kolton Browning tallied 42 completions and 67 attempts, both are second most in program history (single-game).
|< Prev||Next >|