What a difference two months make!
Winners are always in search of the coveted crooked number while losers can always point to the dreaded statistic.
After a scoreless first inning Wednesday afternoon, eighth-seeded Ursuline hit ninth-seed De La Salle with the big inning en route to a 9-6 victory in the regional round of the Division II softball state playoffs.
De La Salle routed Ursuline 11-1 on Feb. 22 at Ursuline. This would be a very different outcome on the same field.
The Lions scored seven runs in the second, highlighted by a grand slam by Mykah Brown to provide the difference.
Taylor Edwards struggled with her command in the inning for the Cavaliers, walking five and setting the table for Brown. It was Olivia Brown and Bailey Roe who drove in the first two runs on bases loaded walks to make it 2-0. Delaney Ott singled home another and it was 3-0.
That set the stage for Mykah Brown’s dramatic shot over the right field fence to make it 7-0.
After De La Salle scored twice in the top of the fifth to cut the deficit to 7-2 on a two-run single by Edwards, Ursuline answered with a pair of runs in the bottom of the fifth to make it 9-2. Maggie Prados drove in a run for the Lions.
The Cavaliers made a game of it in the top of the sixth, scoring four runs, including another two-run single by Edwards and an RBI single by Khaylah Scott but they would get no closer.
Olivia Brown picked up the win for Ursuline (15-13) while Edwards took the loss for De La Salle (13-12).
The victory propels Ursuline to the state tournament in Sulphur on Apr. 28 to meet the winner of this afternoon’s matchup pitting 16th-seed St. Katharine Drexel at top-seed Parkview Baptist at 5 p.m.
Joining Ursuline in Sulphur will be Academy of Our Lady.
The fifth-seeded Penguins blanked 12th-seed St. Scholastica 4-0 at Marrero.
The Penguins (17-12) scored a pair of runs in both the first and third innings to support the brilliant pitching of senior Katelyn Luebert, who hurled a two-hitter, striking out three and walked none. Jenna Ollie took the loss for SSA, allowing just five hits.
Megan Authement and Hanna Miller each had a pair of RBI singles to give the Penguins all of the runs they would need. Riley Delaval and Arden Perry each had a hit for the Doves (11-11).
It was the second win of the season for AOL over the Doves. The Penguins defeated SSA 6-2 on Feb. 24 in the Fontainebleau Tournament.
Academy of Our Lady will meet the winner of today’s 4 p.m.game between 13th-seed Vandebilt Catholic and fourth-seed Loyola Prep in the quarterfinals on Apr. 28.
In Division III, fourth-seed St. Charles Catholic broke open a close game, scoring six runs in the bottom of the sixth inning to defeat 13th-seed Thomas Jefferson 11-3.
Jori Bryant belted a two-run home run in the bottom of the sixth inning to pace the Comets attack. Jade Brady pitched 5 1/3 innings to pick up the win. Kelsi Williams pitched the final 1 2/3 innings to get the save.
St. Charles Catholic (24-3) advances to Sulphur to take on fifth-seed Archbishop Hannan in the quarterfinals next Friday. The Hawks crushed 12th-seed Runnels 19-0 in three innings Monday. Hannan edged St. Charles Catholic 10-9 on March 4.
The news was not as good for 14th-seed Pope John Paul II.
Third-seed Holy Savior Menard ousted the Jaguars 10-0 in a game shortened to five innings by the mercy rule a Alexandria.
The Eagles (26-7) scored nine runs in the first two innings and coasted to the win. Jensen Howell went 2-for-2 with a home run for Holy Savior Menard and she pitched a two-hitter, striking out 11 Jaguars in a dominant performance. Leanne Lain and Shelby Neyland had the only hits for Pope John Paul II (10-13). Alyssa Randolph took the loss.
Olivia Johnson was 3-for-3 with two doubles and three RBI for the Eagles while Ashley Seeser was 2-for-3 with a triple, a double and three RBI.
Holy Savior Menard advances to the state tournament for a fourth consecutive year. The Eagles won the 2A state championship in 2015 and reached the title game in both 2014 and 2016. The Eagles will face the winner of today’s matchup pitting 11th-seed Ouachita Christian at sixth-seed St. Thomas Aquinas (5 p.m.) next Friday in Sulphur.
Prep Softball Playoff Results from Wednesday, Apr. 19
(2) Maurepas 10, (15) Starks 0 (5 innings)
(8) Ursuline 9, (9) De La Salle 6
(5) Academy of Our Lady 4, (12) St. Scholastica 0
(4) St. Charles Catholic 11, (13) Thomas Jefferson 3
(3) Holy Savior Menard 10, (14) Pope John Paul II 0 (5 innings)
(9) Ascension Catholic 10, (8) St. Edmund 0 (6 innings)
Area Prep Softball Playoff Schedule for Thursday, Apr. 20
(9) Fontainebleau at (8) Hahnville, 4 p.m.
(23) Slidell at (7) Barbe, 4 p.m.
(17) Leesville at (1) North DeSoto, 4:30 p.m.
(11) West Ouachita at (6) Neville, 6:30 p.m.
(10) Cecilia at (7) Grant, 5 p.m.
(17) Kaplan at (1) Brusly, 5:30 p.m.
(11) Jewel Sumner at (6) Jena, 5 p.m.
(14) Fisher at (3) Doyle, 5:30 p.m. at Johnny Sartwell Memorial Park
(15) Springfield at (2) Many, 4 p.m.
(16) Block at (1) LaSalle, 5 p.m.
(14) Merryville at (3) East Beauregard, 5 p.m.
(11) Logansport at (6) Montgomery, 4 p.m.
(9) Pitkin at (8) Glenmora, 5 p.m.
(13) Negreet at (4) Anacoco, 6 p.m.
(18) Quitman at (2) Florien, 4 p.m.
(9) Simpson at (8) Saline, 4 p.m. at Jackson Parish Recreational Complex
(12) Harrisonburg at (5) Elizabeth, 4 p.m.
(14) Downsville at (3) Georgetown, 4 p.m.
(11) Summerfield at (6) Dodson, 4 p.m.
(10) Evans at (7) Calvin, 4 p.m.
(14) St. Louis Catholic at (3) E.D. White Catholic, 4 p.m.
(15) Ben Franklin at (2) Riverside, 4 p.m.
(10) Haynes at (7) Catholic (NI), 6 p.m.
(9) Sacred Heart at (8) Opelousas Catholic, 4 p.m.
(12) Lafayette Christian at (5) Central Catholic, 5:30 p.m. at Bayou Vista
(13) Highland Baptist at (4) False River, 4:30 p.m.
(14) Ascension Christian at (3) Cedar Creek, 4 p.m.
(10) St. John at (7) St. Mary’s, 4 p.m.
(15) Westminster Christian at (2) Catholic (PC), 5 p.m.