Privateers fall to Lamar on the road
BEAUMONT, Texas – The University of New Orleans men’s tennis team began its final weekend of Southland Conference on Friday afternoon against Lamar, the reigning league champions, losing on the road 6-1.
Senior Luis Albuquerque won New Orleans’ (6-8, 2-2 Southland) lone point of the contest, winning in three sets on court five 4-6, 6-3, 10-8.
“We played against a very solid Lamar team,” head coach Burzis Kanga said. “In many of the positions I thought we were outplayed. Albuquerque played a good match and so did [Nicolas] Kramer, who managed to force a third set tiebreaker in his match after losing his first set.”
Lamar (13-6, 2-0 Southland) claimed the doubles point with a 6-1 victory at the top flight and a 6-3 win on court three. In singles play, junior Federico Staksrud lost 6-4, 6-0 on court four, while fellow juniors Giacomo Adoncecchi fell 6-1, 6-2 on court six and Federico Boscarino fell 6-3, 6-4 to give the Cardinals the overall victory.
Albuquerque won his singles bout after the contest was decided, while sophomore Jeffrey Hsu battled back from a 6-4 loss in the first set at the top flight, but fell short in the second 7-5. Sophomore Nicolas Kramer ended the contest on court four, forcing a third set with a 6-7 triumph after losing the opening frame 6-3, but lost the pro-style third set 10-8.
The Privateers are back in action on Sunday, Apr. 2, when they host Texas A&M-Corpus Christi at 11 a.m.
Lamar University 6, New Orleans 1
1. Michael Feucht (LU) def. Jeffrey Hsu (UNO) 6-4, 7-5
2. Nikita Lis (LU) def. Federico Boscarino (UNO) 6-3, 6-4
3. Jeandre Hoogenboezem (LU) def. Federico Staksrud (UNO) 6-4, 6-0
4. Sebastian Santibanez (LU) def. Nicolas Kramer (UNO) 6-3, 6-7, 10-8
5. Luis Albuquerque (UNO) def. Juuso Laitinen (LU) 4-6, 6-3, 10-8
6. Benny Schweizer (LU) def. Giacomo Adoncecchi (UNO) 6-1, 6-2
1. Jeandre Hoogenboezem/Nikita Lis (LU) def. Jeffrey Hsu/Federico Boscarino (UNO) 6-1
2. Michael Feucht/Benny Schweizer (LU) vs. Federico Staksrud/Nicolas Kramer (UNO) 5-5, unfinished
3. Juuso Laitinen/Logan Powell (LU) def. Luis Albuquerque/Giacomo Adoncecchi (UNO) 6-3