Green Wave to face No. 25 Oregon in championship match Saturday
SAN DIEGO – For the second straight year, the No. 30 Tulane men’s tennis team (12-2) has qualified for the championship match of the San Diego Tournament after defeating the host team, University of San Diego, 4-0 in the semis on Friday afternoon. The Green Wave have now won a season high five straight, while also earning their fourth consecutive shutout.
“It was a great collective effort by our guys,” Tulane head coach Mark Booras stated. “We played pretty solid from start to finish. Most importantly, we dealt with the changes in momentum against us and were able to get ourselves back on track when the other team made their surges. This should continue to build our confidence as we head into another tough match tomorrow.”
The Green Wave continued to roll in doubles, claiming their fifth straight doubles point on Friday. Both Constantin Schmitz/Chi-Shan Jao and Tyler Schick/Ewan Moore won 6-3 on courts one and two, respectively.
In singles, No. 38 Schmitz improved to 4-1 against ranked opposition, 10-1 overall this spring, after cruising to a 6-2, 6-1 win over No. 55 Filip Vittek. Not to be outdone, Schick kept pace, moving to 10-1 as well, with his eighth straight victory after a 6-1, 6-2 final on court four.
No. 125 Moore then punched the Wave’s ticket into the final after a 6-2, 6-3, victory on court two, winning his seventh straight match to improve to 10-3.
Up next, the Green Wave will challenge No. 25 Oregon in the San Diego Tournament final on Saturday, March 18, at Noon CT, on USD’s campus.
GREEN WAVE RESULTS
#30 Tulane 4, San Diego 0
Singles competition – 1, 4, 2
1. #38 Constantin Schmitz (TLN) def. #55 Filip Vittek (USD) 6-2, 6-1
2. #125 Ewan Moore (TLN) def. Gui Osorio (USD) 6-2, 6-3
3. #118 Sebastian Rey (TLN) vs. Joshua Page (USD) 4-6, 5-2, unfinished
4. Tyler Schick (TLN) def. Guus Koevermans (USD) 6-1, 6-2
5. Luis Erlenbusch (TLN) vs. Joel Gamerov (USD) 4-6, 3-5, unfinished
6. Chi-Shan Jao (TLN) vs. Alexandros Araouzos (USD) 6-1, 6-5, unfinished
Doubles competition – 2, 1
1. Constantin Schmitz/Chi-Shan Jao (TLN) def. Filip Vittek/Joshua Page (USD) 6-3
2. Tyler Schick/Ewan Moore (TLN) def. Guus Koevermans/Alexandros Araouzos (USD) 6-3
3. Sebastian Rey/Tim Ruetzel (TLN) vs. Gui Osorio/Joel Gamerov (USD) 5-4, unfinished