No. 38 Schmitz picks up big ranked win over No. 40 Laurent
SAN DIEGO – The No. 30 Tulane men’s tennis team (12-3) came up just short in the San Diego Tournament final, falling 4-2 to No. 25 Oregon (14-2) on Saturday afternoon. No. 38 Constantin Schmitz recorded a big ranked singles win over No. 40 Thomas Laurent via a 6-4, 6-2, final, ending the Oregon player’s 18-match win streak and handing him his first loss this spring (14-1).
“Oregon played a very solid match today,” Tulane head coach Mark Booras said. “We had some match points for the doubles point but just didn’t execute like we needed to. That set us back a bit emotionally and we didn’t respond as quick as we needed to and got down on a bunch of courts. Then we spotted them another point in singles and dug a nice sized ditch for ourselves. We did, however, battle back but didn’t capitalize on some set points and break points when we got up.”
Schmitz also picked up a doubles victory alongside Chi-Shan Jao, downing Laurent/Clissold, 6-4, on court one. The doubles point came down to court three where Oregon pushed ahead in a tiebreak, 7-6(2).
Jao also won his singles match today, defeating Ty Gentry on court six, 6-1, 6-1. Jao has now won six straight for the Wave. Furthermore, with Schmitz’s victory, the junior improved to a team best 11-1 this spring and 5-1 against ranked foes.
Up next, the Wave will look to bounce back when they host Dartmouth on Thursday, March 23, at 3 p.m. CT.
GREEN WAVE RESULTS
#25 Oregon 4, #30 Tulane 2
Singles competition – 4, 6, 5, 1, 3
1. #38 Constantin Schmitz (TLN) def. #40 Thomas Laurent (OREGON) 6-4, 6-2
2. #125 Ewan Moore (TLN) vs. Simon Stevens (OREGON) 5-7, 6-6, unfinished
3. Akihiro Tanaka (OREGON) def. #118 Sebastian Rey (TLN) 7-6 (8-6), 6-3
4. Jayson Amos (OREGON) def. Tyler Schick (TLN) 6-0, 6-0
5. Cormac Clissold (OREGON) def. Luis Erlenbusch (TLN) 6-4, 6-1
6. Chi-Shan Jao (TLN) def. Ty Gentry (OREGON) 6-1, 6-1
Doubles competition – 2, 1, 3
1. Chi-Shan Jao/Constantin Schmitz (TLN) def. Thomas Laurent/Cormac Clissold (OREGON) 6-4
2. Jayson Amos/Ty Gentry (OREGON) def. Tyler Schick/Ewan Moore (TLN) 6-4
3. Simon Stevens/Akihiro Tanaka (OREGON) def. Sebastian Rey/Tim Ruetzel (TLN) 7-6 (7-2)