Advances to semis of San Diego tournament
SAN DIEGO – The No. 30 Tulane men’s tennis team (11-2) won its fourth straight early on Thursday, shutting out Arizona, 4-0, in the quarterfinal round of the San Diego Tournament. The win also marked the Green Wave’s third straight shutout and sixth overall on the year. Freshman Ewan Moore shone bright today, winning both his singles and doubles match.
“This was a very high energy, high level match, and a great start for our team in this tournament,” Tulane head coach Mark Booras stated. “Arizona put a lot of heat on us in several spots, and it was good to see our guys respond well under pressure. Luis, Ewan and Jao did a great job of taking care of business in singles.”
In doubles, Sebastian Rey and Tim Ruetzel moved to 3-0 as a pair with a 6-1 win on court three. Tyler Schick and Ewan Moore then followed closely behind by clinching the doubles point with a 6-1 win of their own.
In singles, freshman Luis Erlenbusch kept the momentum in the Wave’s favor with a swift 6-1, 6-2 victory on court five. No. 125 Moore then won his sixth straight singles match over on court two, via a 6-1, 6-3, final. Senior Chi-Shan Jao then clinched the match on court six, improving to 6-1, with a 6-1, 6-3, victory.
Up next, the Green Wave will challenge the winner of San Diego vs Drake in the semifinals on Friday at 4 p.m. CT. The match-up will once again take place on San Diego’s campus.
GREEN WAVE RESULTS
#30 Tulane 4, Arizona 0
Singles competition – 5, 2, 6
1. #38 Constantin Schmitz (TLN) vs. Shoti Meparidze (ARIZ) 6-7 (3-7), 0-3, unfinished
2. #125 Ewan Moore (TLN) def. Will Kneale (ARIZ) 6-1, 6-3
3. #118 Sebastian Rey (TLN) vs. Trent Botha (ARIZ) 6-7, unfinished
4. Tyler Schick (TLN) vs. Alejandro Reguant (ARIZ) 6-4, 1-5, unfinished
5. Luis Erlenbusch (TLN) def. Shoki Kasahara (ARIZ) 6-1, 6-2
6. Chi-Shan Jao (TLN) def. Oliver Plaskett (ARIZ) 6-1, 6-3
Doubles competition – 3, 2
1. Constantin Schmitz/Chi-Shan Jao (TLN) vs. Will Adkisson/Shoti Meparidze (ARIZ) 3-4, unfinished
2. Tyler Schick/Ewan Moore (TLN) def. Trent Botha/Oliver Plaskett (ARIZ) 6-1
3. Sebastian Rey/Tim Ruetzel (TLN) def. Shoki Kasahara/Alejandro Reguant (ARIZ) 6-1