No. 2 Tulane Women’s Tennis Bows Out in Quarterfinal Round, Dropping 4-1 Match to No. 7 USF
Green Wave finish year 22-7
LAKE NONA, FLA. – The No. 2 seeded Tulane women’s tennis team’s stay at the American Athletic Conference Championships was cut short after No. 7 seeded South Florida usurped the Wave, 4-1, in the quarterfinal round. Sophomore Elena Muller recorded Tulane’s lone point with a singles victory on court four.
The Olive and Blue jumped out in the lead in doubles after Sade Atkinson and Ivone Alvaro cruised to a 6-1 victory on court one, improving to 13-2 on the year as a pair. Over on court two, Muller and Sofia Kurtz were up 4-2 in the match and 40-love in the game but the Bulls rallied and rode the momentum to a 6-4 win. USF then clinched with a 6-4 win on court three.
South Florida then extended its lead to 3-0 after garnering straight-set victories on courts one and two. The Wave continued to battle as Muller got Tulane on the board with a 6-3, 7-5, victory on court four. As a result, the sophomore finished the year an impressive 19-3, marking the most wins on the team.
Sisti and Alvaro were both trying to position the Wave for a comeback as each won their first sets. Sisti’s match went unfinished at 7-5, 3-4, on court five, while Alvaro’s match was halted at 6-3, 3-6, 1-0, on court three.
The USF clincher occurred on court six where Kurtz almost took the first set, dropping 7-4 in the tiebreaker before Olga Martinez swept the second set, 6-0.
The Green Wave now close the door on successful 2017 campaign in which they posted one of the biggest turnarounds in Division-I, improving from 8-14 a year ago to 22-7. It also marked the Wave’s first 20+ win season in the post-Katrina era.
GREEN WAVE RESULTS
University of South Florida 4, Tulane 1
1. Ana Roman (USF) def. Kyla Klier (TLN) 6-2, 6-1
2. Vera Bessonova (USF) def. Sade Atkinson (TLN) 6-3, 6-4
3. Ivone Alvaro (TLN) vs. Juliana Cardoso (USF) 6-3, 3-6, 1-0, unfinished
4. Elena Muller (TLN) def. Nicole Dzenga (USF) 6-3, 7-5
5. Christina Sisti (TLN) vs. Jessica Chaves (USF) 7-5, 3-4, unfinished
6. Olga Martinez (USF) def. Sofia Kurtz (TLN) 7-6 (7-4), 6-0
1. Ivone Alvaro/Sade Atkinson (TLN) def. Olga Martinez/Vera Bessonova (USF) 6-1
2. Juliana Cardoso/Jessica Chaves (USF) def. Sofia Kurtz/Elena Muller (TLN) 6-4
3. Nicole Dzenga/Ana Roman (USF) def. Christina Sisti/Kyla Klier (TLN) 6-4