Junior Anja Luethi claims victories in singles and doubles play
NEW ORLEANS – In what is becoming a trend for the University of New Orleans women’s tennis team, the Privateers found themselves tied 3-3 against Alabama State with the deciding singles bout going to a third set. On Monday afternoon, is was sophomore Brittany Johnson who held the fate of the match in her hands and pulled through 4-6, 6-3, 6-1 on court five to give UNO the 4-3 victory.
Along with Johnson, senior Yasmine Rashad and Anna Segarra Rius won their singles matches, while junior Anja Luethi won hers plus her doubles match at the top flight with sophomore Trang Dao.
“Collectively I thought we played well today,” head coach Burzis Kanga said. “Today was another tough one for us, for the third-straight day we played in a 4-3 match. It is not easy to play three-straight matches like this, especially on the road, so to go 2-1 on this road trip was good. We have a couple days off before our next match, which gives the team time to recharge.”
Despite a dominant 6-0 victory at the top doubles flight, New Orleans (6-3) lost on the second and third positions to Alabama State (7-5) to enter singles play down 1-0. Luethi quickly knotted up the score with a 6-1, 6-0 score at the second slot, but a 6-3, 6-4 setback for Dao at the top singles spot gave the Hornets the lead back at 2-1.
UNO yet again tied up the score, using a 6-4, 6-2 win from Segarra Rius at the third position before a 6-2, 6-2 loss for Yurina Asai at the sixth flight put the hosts one game away from the victory. Rashad kept the Privateers alive with 6-3, 6-3 triumph on court four, making Johnson’s match at the fifth spot the deciding bout.
The Privateers are back in action on Saturday, Mar. 11 when they return to the University Tennis Center to take on Southeastern Louisiana at 2 p.m., starting a four-match homestand.
New Orleans 4, Alabama State 3
1. Reka Szentes (ASU) def. Trang Dao (UNO) 6-3, 6-4
2. Anja Luethi (UNO) def. Marine Cartier (ASU) 6-1, 6-0
3. Anna Segarra Rius (UNO) def. Gabriela Lackova (ASU) 6-4, 6-2
4. Yasmine Rashad (UNO) def. Brankica Orlovic (ASU) 6-3, 6-3
5. Brittany Johnson (UNO) def. Mirna Curcic (ASU) 4-6, 6-3, 6-1
6. Maria Blazevic (ASU) def. Yurina Asai (UNO) 6-2, 6-2
1. Anja Luethi/Trang Dao (UNO) def. Maria Blazevic/Brankica Orlovic (ASU) 6-0
2. Reka Szentes/Marine Cartier (ASU) def. Yasmine Rashad/Anna Segarra Rius (UNO) 6-2
3. Gabriela Lackova/Mirna Curcic (ASU) def. Brittany Johnson/Yurina Asai (UNO) 6-1