Privateers best Huskies behind strong play at the top positions
NEW ORLEANS – The University of New Orleans women’s tennis team continued its four-match homestand on Saturday afternoon against the University of Connecticut, besting the visiting Huskies 4-1.
New Orleans (12-5) made quick work of Connecticut (7-9) in doubles play with 6-2 victories on courts one and two, while winning at the top-two flights in singles play with a win on court four to end the contest.
“We played a great match against a good Connecticut team today,” head coach Burzis Kanga said. “I was really pleased with the way we executed. Yesterday we let the match get out of our grasp, so to see us start strong and get the doubles point was great to see.”
Senior Anna Segarra Rius and junior Anja Luethi paired up at the top doubles position, with sophomores Trang Dao and Brittany Johnson winning on court three to end doubles play.
In singles action, Dao outlasted her UCONN opposition 7-5 in the opening set at the top position, completing the straight-set sweep with a 6-2 score. Freshman Claudette Gilhespie won her match at the fourth slot by an identical score, while senior Yasmine Rashad suffered the Privateers lone loss in a 6-3, 6-4 setback on court five. Luethi ended the match at the second flight, besting her Huskie counterpart 6-4, 6-3.
“We have a big match tomorrow,” Kanga said. “Corpus Christi is one of the best teams in our conference, they are tough to defeat but they are not unbeatable. We play well at home, which I think can be the difference maker tomorrow.”
The Southland Conference half of the homestand begins on Sunday, Apr. 2, when reigning Southland Conference champions Texas A&M-Corpus Christi come to the University Tennis Center with first serve scheduled for 11 a.m.
New Orleans 4, Connecticut 1
1. Trang Dao (UNO) def. Yelyzaveta Pletnyeva (UCONN) 7-5, 6-2
2. Anja Luethi (UNO) def. Emma Alderman (UCONN) 6-4, 6-3
3. Anna Segarra Rius (UNO) vs. Jacquelyn Randolph (UCONN) 7-6, 4-3, unfinished
4. Claudette Gilhespie (UNO) def. Zaina Zaki (UCONN) 7-5, 6-2
5. Jacqueline Lazaro (UCONN) def. Yasmine Rashad (UNO) 6-3, 6-4
6. Brittany Johnson (UNO) vs. Shae Flanagan (UCONN) 4-6, 6-1, 2-1, unfinished
1. Anja Luethi/Anna Segarra Rius (UNO) def. Emma Alderman/Yelyzaveta Pletnyeva (UCONN) 6-2
2. Yasmine Rashad/Claudette Gilhespie (UNO) vs. Gilliam Perrotta/Jacquelyn Randolph (UCONN) 3-4, unfinished
3. Trang Dao/Brittany Johnson (UNO) def. Jacqueline Lazaro/Shae Flanagan (UCONN) 6-2