Privateers clinch winning record in Southland Conference play with victory
NEW ORLEANS – The University of New Orleans women’s tennis team played its penultimate match of the 2017 regular season on Thursday afternoon against Sam Houston State, securing a winning record in Southland Conference play for the second-consecutive season with a 4-1 victory.
Playing against a short-handed Sam Houston State (8-12, 5-5 Southland Conference) team due to injuries, the Bearkats forfeited the third doubles position meaning New Orleans (14-7, 6-4 Southland Conference) only needed one victory to claim the point. The duo of sophomores Trang Dao and Brittany Johnson cruised on the second court 6-1 to give the Privateers the doubles point.
In similar fashion to doubles play, SHS forfeited on courts five and six, leaving UNO one game away from victory. Sam Houston earned its first point of the afternoon with a 6-4, 6-4 victory over senior Anna Segarra Rius at the third flight and had one the first sets at the top-two positions, but a 6-3, 6-4 triumph for freshman Claudette Gilhespie at the fourth slot secured the result for the home team.
“We played a very good Sam Houston State team,” head coach Burzis Kanga said. “They had to play shorthanded, so the score does not reflect how competitive this match was. I was pleased with how [Trang] Dao and [Brittany] Johnson did in doubles and Claudette [Gilhespie] in singles. This was a good win for us and should give us momentum for Saturday’s match against Lamar.”
UNO ends the 2017 regular season on Saturday against Lamar. Prior to first serve, the Privateers will honor its senior class of Rius and Yasmine Rashad plus Luis Albuquerque from the men’s team.
New Orleans 4, Sam Houston State 1
1. Trang Dao (UNO) vs. Wee, Khee Yen (SHSU) 6-7, 1-3, unfinished
2. Anja Luethi (UNO) vs. Casey, Carrie (SHSU) 0-6, 5-6, unfinished
3. Milanovic, Mila (SHSU) def. Anna Segarra Rius (UNO) 6-4, 6-4
4. Claudette Gilhespie (UNO) def. Mitchell, Caitlyn (SHSU) 6-3, 6-4
5. Yasmine Rashad (UNO) def. No player (SHSU), by forfeit
6. Brittany Johnson (UNO) def. No player (SHSU), by forfeit
1. Anja Luethi/Anna Segarra Rius (UNO) vs. Milanovic, Mila/Casey, Carrie (SHSU) 2-5, unfinished
2. Trang Dao/Brittany Johnson (UNO) def. Wee, Khee Yen/Mitchell, Caitlyn (SHSU) 6-1
3. Yasmine Rashad/Claudette Gilhespie (UNO) def. No player/No player (SHSU), by forfeit