Juniors Federico Boscarino and Federico Staksrud continue winning streak in doubles against Cougars
NEW ORLEANS – The University of New Orleans men’s tennis hosted the reigning Colonial Athletics Association champions College of Charleston on Monday afternoon, losing 4-0 to the visiting Cougars.
In the loss, the duo of juniors Federico Staksrud and Federico Boscarino won for New Orleans (4-3) at the second doubles position 6-1, but victories at the first and third slots gave College of Charleston (6-3) the point. Since the juniors began playing as a doubles pair, they have won all three of their matches.
“We lost to a great College of Charleston team,” head coach Burzis Kanga said. “We started off strong in doubles play, but there was a rain delay that took us out of our rhythm. This was our third-consecutive day with a match, our team was exhausted but we still put up an admiral fight against a team that won its conference championship last season. We are in a tough stretch in our schedule and have another competitive match ahead of us this Thursday against Penn.”
In singles action, Boscarino was the first match to end, falling 6-2, 6-2 at the second position. Jeffrey Hsu, playing at the top flight, lost 6-2, 6-3 before a 6-4, 6-4 finish for Staksrud on the third court ended the match.
The Privateers were leading on the fifth and sixth courts, both in a third set, with senior Luis Albuquerque leading 4-6, 6-0, 5-3 and junior Giacomo Adoncecchi holding a slim 3-6, 7-6, 1-0 advantage. Sophomore Nicolas Kramer has still in the second set of his match at the fourth slot when CofC took the 4-0 lead that ended the overall contest, trailing 3-6, 3-4.
UNO is back in action on Thursday, Mar. 9 when they host the University of Pennsylvania at 2 p.m.
College of Charleston 4, New Orleans 0
1. Juan Estevarena (COFCM) def. Jeffrey Hsu (UNO) 6-2, 6-3
2. Benedikt Henning (COFCM) def. Federico Boscarino (UNO) 6-2, 6-2
3. Vasily Kichigin (COFCM) def. Federico Staksrud (UNO) 6-4, 6-4
4. Nicolas Kramer (UNO) vs. Ryan Khan (COFCM) 3-6, 3-4, unfinished
5. Luis Albuquerque (UNO) vs. F. Ramirez Lascurian (COFCM) 4-6, 6-0, 5-3, unfinished
6. Giacomo Adoncecchi (UNO) vs. Luke Kusmider (COFCM) 3-6, 7-6, 1-0, unfinished
1. Juan Estevarena/Vasily Kichigin (COFCM) def. Jeffrey Hsu/Luis Albuquerque (UNO) 6-2
2. Federico Boscarino/Federico Staksrud (UNO) def. Benedikt Henning/Alec Angadi (COFCM) 6-1
3. Luke Kusmider/Jake Kusmider (COFCM) def. Nicolas Kramer/Giacomo Adoncecchi (UNO) 6-3