Privateers fall to co-regular season champions 4-0
BEAUMONT, Texas – The University of New Orleans men’s tennis team took on the 2017 Southland Conference co-regular season champions on Saturday afternoon in the conference semifinals, losing to the Lamar University 4-0.
New Orleans (7-13) began the match strong, with the tandem of juniors Federico Boscarino and Federico Staksrud taking down Lamar’s (16-7) top duo 6-3. The Cardinals responded with 6-4 scores on courts two and three to take the doubles point.
“It’s been the story of our season,” head coach Burzis Kanga said. “We drop a competitive doubles point which shifts the momentum in their favor. We were in it but made bad decisions in critical moments which costed us the contest. I thought we fought well in singles, we were winning at the top-two positions before the match ended.”
In singles action, Lamar quickly moved to within one point of advancing to the championship bout with a 6-3, 7-5 victory at the fifth flight followed by a 7-5, 6-3 decision on court six. Staksrud won his opening set at the third position 6-2, but a 6-1 setback forced a tiebreaker stanza which his opposition took 6-3.
In his final season at the Lakefront, senior Luis Albuquerque set career-highs in singles victories with eight and doubles wins with six. Junior Giacomo Adoncecchi ends the season with a team-best 11 victories in singles play, a new career-high for the Livorno, Italy, native, while also setting his personal-best with six triumphs in doubles action.
“I am extremely proud of the way this team competed this season,” Burzis said. “We competed with only six men on the roster all season. We constantly faced challenges all season long and I could not be more proud of how they handled themselves all year.”
Lamar University 4, New Orleans 0
1. Michael Feucht (LU) vs. Jeffrey Hsu (UNO) 4-6, 5-6, unfinished
2. Nikita Lis (LU) vs. Federico Boscarino (UNO) 5-7, 6-3, unfinished
3. Jeandre Hoogenboezem (LU) def. Federico Staksrud (UNO) 2-6, 6-1, 6-3
4. Sebastian Santibanez (LU) vs. Nicolas Kramer (UNO) 7-6, 5-2, unfinished
5. Benny Schweizer (LU) def. Luis Albuquerque (UNO) 6-3, 7-5
6. Juuso Laitinen (LU) def. Giacomo Adoncecchi (UNO) 7-5, 6-3
1. Federico Boscarino/Federico Staksrud (UNO) def. Nikita Lis/Jeandre Hoogenboezem (LU) 6-3
2. Michael Feucht/Benny Schweizer (LU) def. Jeffrey Hsu/Nicolas Kramer (UNO) 6-4
3. Juuso Laitinen/Logan Powell (LU) def. Luis Albuquerque/Giacomo Adoncecchi (UNO) 6-4