Giacomo Adoncecchi gets Privateers their lone point in loss
NEW ORLEANS – The University of New Orleans men’s tennis team began their two-match road trip on Sunday afternoon against Troy, losing to the hosts 6-1.
Junior Giacomo Adoncecchi got New Orleans (3-2) their lone point in the contest, overcoming a 1-6 first set to his Troy (6-6) counterpart to win the next two 6-3 and 10-7.
“I think this was one of the better outings I have seen from us against Troy in singles,” head coach Burzis Kanga said. “[Jeffrey] Hsu gave their top player a real tough match and there was really only one singles match that we did not look great in. Troy is a strong team that defeated a nationally-ranked team earlier this season.”
In doubles play, Troy earned the point with victories on the first and third court. Senior Luis Albuquerque and sophomore Jeffrey Hsu played at the top doubles position, losing 6-4 to Andy Lau and Pablo Moreno. The duo of juniors Federico Staksrud and Federico Boscarino bested Amer Bedwan and Hassan Ndayishimiye at the second flight 6-2 to even up the doubles score, but a 7-5 loss for sophomore Nicolas Kramer and Adoncecchi gave Troy the 1-0 advantage heading into doubles play.
For the Privateers in singles action, two of their losses were three-set matches, while two of them ended in a tiebreaker point. Boscarino was the first one to finish, losing 6-2, 6-2 at the second position, On court three, Staksrud tried to rally back from a 6-1 loss in his first set and managed to tie up the second set 6-6, but lost the tiebreaker game 7-4. Albuquerque also forced a tiebreaker game in his match, a 6-3, 7-6 (7-3) loss at the fifth flight. Hsu and Kramer, playing on courts one and four, both won their opening sets with 6-4 and 6-2 scores but lost the following two.
UNO is back in action on Monday, Mar. 6 when they take on Alabama State. Following the road trip, the Privateers return to the University Tennis Center on Tuesday, Mar. 7 when they host the College of Charleston at 2 p.m.
Troy 6, New Orleans 1
1. Hassan Ndayishimiye (TROY) def. Jeffrey Hsu (UNO) 4-6, 6-2, 6-2
2. Andy Lau (TROY) def. Federico Boscarino (UNO) 6-2, 6-2
3. Pablo Moreno (TROY) def. Federico Staksrud (UNO) 6-1, 7-6 (7-4)
4. Mustapha Belcora (TROY) def. Nicolas Kramer (UNO) 2-6, 6-2, 6-1
5. Amer Bedwan (TROY) def. Luis Albuquerque (UNO) 6-3, 7-6 (7-3)
6. Giacomo Adoncecchi (UNO) def. Gabriel Niculescu (TROY) 1-6, 6-3, 10-7
1. Andy Lau/Pablo Moreno (TROY) def. Luis Albuquerque/Jeffrey Hsu (UNO) 6-4
2. Federico Staksrud/Federico Boscarino (UNO) def. Amer Bedwan/Hassan Ndayishimiye (TROY) 6-2
3. Andre Baldo/Shaaz Peerani (TROY) def. Giacomo Adoncecchi/Nicolas Kramer (UNO) 7-5