Privateers claim doubles point in home loss to Islanders
NEW ORLEANS – The University of New Orleans men’s tennis team concluded its Southland Conference schedule on Sunday afternoon against Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, losing to the visiting Islanders 5-2.
New Orleans (6-9, 2-3 Southland) claimed the doubles point over Texas A&M-Corpus Christi (13-7, 2-0 Southland) with victories on courts two and three. The Islanders won at the top flight 6-1, but a 6-4 triumph for sophomores Jeffrey Hsu and Nicolas Kramer at the second position followed by a 6-3 victory for senior Luis Albuquerque and junior Giacomo Adoncecchi at the third slot sent UNO into singles play up 1-0.
“We played well, but not well enough to get the win,” head coach Burzis Kanga. “I thought we executed well in doubles play, but did not bring our “A” game in singles. At the end of the day, it was a competitive match that I think we could have won.”
In singles play, half the matches went into a third set, with the Privateers lone win coming via junior Federico Boscarino at the second flight with a 4-6, 7-6, 6-2 score. Hsu and Adoncecchi also forced their Islander competition to a third set, losing 4-6, 6-4, 6-3 on court one and 6-3, 4-6, 6-4 at the sixth position.
Junior Federico Staksrud, Kramer and Albuquerque all lost in straight sets with scores of 6-1, 6-2 at the third flight, 6-3, 6-2 at the fourth positon and 6-1, 6-1 on court five.
The Privateers hit the road to take on Louisiana-Lafayette on Friday, Apr. 7 with the match scheduled to start at 2 p.m.
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 5, New Orleans 2
1. Kevin Bettendroffer (AMCC) def. Jeffrey Hsu (UNO) 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
2. Federico Boscarino (UNO) def. Cagatay Soke (AMCC) 4-6, 7-6, 6-2
3. William Mottet (AMCC) def. Federico Staksrud (UNO) 6-1, 6-2
4. Paul Cook (AMCC) def. Nicolas Kramer (UNO) 6-3, 6-2
5. Carlos Pedrosa (AMCC) def. Luis Albuquerque (UNO) 6-1, 6-1
6. Gonzalo Achondo (AMCC) def. Giacomo Adoncecchi (UNO) 6-3, 4-6, 6-4
1. Kevin Bettendroffer/William Mottet (AMCC) def. Federico Boscarino/Federico Staksrud (UNO) 6-1
2. Jeffrey Hsu/Nicolas Kramer (UNO) def. Cagatay Soke/Paul Cook (AMCC) 6-4
3. Luis Albuquerque/Giacomo Adoncecchi (UNO) def. Carlos Pedrosa/Gonzalo Achondo (AMCC) 6-3