Colonels fall at No. 2 Xavier (La.)
NEW ORLEANS – The Nicholls State University men’s tennis team was defeated by the NAIA’s No. 2 ranked Xavier (La.), 4-0, Tuesday afternoon at the XULA Tennis Center.
No doubles were played in the match and only four of the six singles matches were played to completion.
Although the Colonels came away without a point, two of the setbacks were in three sets. Sam Meessen earned a shutout in the opening set against Moses Michael on the No. 2 court, but fell in the next two. At No. 3, Oleksander Podgursky also won the first set against Karan Sawlan before falling in the second and third.
Bernard Wezeman and Cornelius Schramm lost their matches on the No. 1 and 5 courts, respectively, in straight sets.
The Colonels will play their next match in New Orleans as well, taking on the UNO Privateers in a conference match on Friday (Feb. 17). First serve is scheduled for 2 p.m.
THE SCORE SHEET
Xavier (La.) 4, #2 Nicholls 0
1. Antonie Richard (XULA) def. Bernard Wezeman (NICM) 6-3, 6-0
2. Moses Michael (XULA) def. Sam Meessen (NICM) 0-6, 6-4, 6-2
3. Karan Sawlan (XULA) def. Oleksander Podgursky (NICM) 3-6, 6-2, 6-3
4. Catalin Fifea (XULA) vs. Max Sinn (NICM) 7-6 (7-4), 5-4, unfinished
5. Tushar Mandlekar (XULA) def. Cornelius Schramm (NICM) 6-2, 6-3
6. Oran Reznick (XULA) vs. Leo Santos (NICM) 6-1, 2-1, unfinished
Nicholls 2-2; National ranking #2
Xavier (La.) 1-2
Order of finish: Doubles (); Singles (1,3,2,5)