(Mobile, Ala.) The Loyola University men’s tennis team headed back to Mobile, Alabama on Thursday evening to take part in the second Southern States Athletic Conference (SSAC) Roundup of the year held at the Mobile Tennis Center.
Due to inclement weather being forecasted, the Wolf Pack’s match against Blue Mountain College, which was originally scheduled to be played on Saturday morning, was moved up to Thursday evening.
Despite the earlier start, Loyola showed it was not affected by the time changed as the (RV) Wolf Pack cruised to the easy 9-0 victory over the Toppers to start the tournament.
If the nine-straight match victories were not impressive enough, Loyola only surrendered 10 total points in its win over Blue Mountain on Thursday.
1. Galileo Cabrales (LOYNO) def. Drew Forsyth (BMC), by default
2. Maxime Rumeau (LOYNO) def. Mark Robbins (BMC) 6-2, 6-3
3. Ernesto de Diego (LOYNO) def. Daniel Tiede (BMC) 6-0, 6-0
4. Sean Presti (LOYNO) def. Zaen Harbin (BMC) 6-0, 6-0
5. George Fourmaux (LOYNO) def. Max Mattaliano (BMC) 6-0, 6-0
6. Brandon Abdella (LOYNO) def. Casey Cagle (BMC) 6-1, 6-0
1. Steven Le/Ernesto de Diego (LOYNO) def. Drew Forsyth/Mark Robbins (BMC) 8-4
2. Alexander DePascual/Galileo Cabrales (LOYNO) def. Zaen Harbin/Daniel Tiede (BMC) 8-0
3. Brandon Abdella/George Fourmaux (LOYNO) def. Casey Cagle/Max Mattaliano (BMC) 8-0
Today’s matchup against Martin Methodist proved to be a much harder outing for Loyola than yesterday’s affair. Down 1-0 in doubles, the tandem of Maxime Rumeau and Sean Presti knotted the match at 1-1 with an 8-2 victory at second position. Alexander DePascual and Galileo Cabrales followed with an 8-2 win of their own at third position to give the Wolf Pack the 2-1 advantage heading into singles.
At sixth singles, Sean Presti downed Carson Clanton 6-1,6-1 to extend the Loyola lead to 3-1. A loss at first singles cut the Wolf Pack advantage to 3-2, before Ernesto de Diego logged a dominating 6-3,6-0 performance at fourth position to put Loyola back up by two (4-2). At position five, DePascual sealed the Wolf Pack victory with a 6-2,6-2 defeat of Eduardo Costa. The Redhawks won the last two singles matches of the day but it would not be enough as Loyola ended day two at the SSAC Roundup with the 5-4 win.
1. Jesus Quesada (MMC) def. Steven Le (LOYNO) 6-2, 6-2
2. Nicolas Galleguillo (MMC) def. Galileo Cabrales (LOYNO) 6-3, 6-3
3. Raphael Monzione (MMC) def. Maxime Rumeau (LOYNO) 6-4, 4-6, 1-0
4. Ernesto de Diego (LOYNO) def. Eduardo Costa (MMC) 6-3, 6-0
5. Alexander DePascual (LOYNO) def. Brad Prada (MMC) 6-2, 6-2
6. Sean Presti (LOYNO) def. Carson Clanton (MMC) 6-1, 6-1
1. Jesus Quesada/Nicolas Galleguillo (MMC) def. Steven Le/Ernesto de Diego (LOYNO) 9-8
2. Maxime Rumeau/Sean Presti (LOYNO) def. Brad Prada/Carson Clanton (MMC) 8-2
3. Alexander DePascual/Galileo Cabrales (LOYNO) def. Raphael Monzione/Eduardo Costa (MMC) 8-2
Heading into tomorrow morning’s showdown with Bethel University, the Wolf Pack sits at 5-7 overall and 3-3 in the SSAC.