Meeting for the third time this season and battling rainy conditions, Holy Cross answered the call in definitive fashion against Lakeshore.
After splitting the two regular season matches, the second-seededTigers won the decisive match in decisive fashion, blanking seventh-seed Lakeshore 3-0 at Pan American Stadium Tuesday night.
Mitchell Smith scored in the first half to put the Tigers on top. Holy Cross turned up the heat in the second half on goals by Sebastian Aguilar and Chad Cadiere to put the match away.
The Tigers (19-6-3) advance to the semifinals for the second consecutive year and will host third-seed Alexandria Saturday at 4 p.m. at Pan American Stadium. The third-seeded Trojans (17-5-6) came to Metairie and downed 11th-seed East Jefferson 3-1 Wednesday.
Holy Cross reached the final a year ago, losing 1-0 to St. Thomas More in the title match. The Cougars advanced to the semifinals Tuesday with a thrilling 2-1 win over Ben Franklin on the Lakefront.
The Falcons were on the verge of a big upset, leading 1-0 with less than a minute to play but Connor Latiolais scored the tying goal on a corner kick to force overtime and Grant Patterson scored early in the extra period to provide the margin of victory.
Prep Soccer Playoff Results from Tuesday, Feb. 15
Division I Quarterfinals
(1) St. Paul’s 3 (8) St. Amant 2
(5) Acadiana 1 (4) Jesuit 0
(7) Mandeville 3 (2) Lafayette 2
Division II Quarterfinals
(1) St. Thomas More 2 (9) Ben Franklin 1
(5) Woodlawn (BR) 5 (13) Central Lafourche 1
(3) Alexandria 3 (11) East Jefferson 0
(2) Holy Cross 3 (7) Lakeshore 0
Division III Quarterfinals
(3) St. Louis Catholic 6 (6) Loyola Prep 1
(2) E.D. White Catholic 4 (7) St. Michael the Archangel 1
Division IV Quarterfinals
(1) Newman 2 (8) Northlake Christian 1