Scores from around the Gulf Coast Athletic Conference
Friday, August 28, 2015
Xavier (La.) defeats Mississippi Valley State 3-0
· Opening match of “Big Easy Blastoff” invitational at the Xavier Convocation Center
· Event held Friday and Saturday with five matches each day
· First win over NCAA Division I opponent since defeating Alcorn State on September 9, 2011.
· Xavier is 2-3 against NCAA Division opponents with wins over Alcorn St. and Miss. Valley St. and a loss to Prairie View A&M.
Tougaloo (Miss.) defeats Edward Waters (Fla.) 3-2*
· Opening match of EWC 2015 Fall Volleyball Classic
· GCAC opener for both.
· Tougaloo swept Edward Waters last season for two of their three conference wins.
· Edward Waters is on a four match conference losing streak dating back to last season and has lost 10 of the last 11 against GCAC foes.
LeMoyne-Owen forfeits match against Southern Univ. at New Orleans
· SUNO now 2-1 on the season.
Tougaloo defeats Concordia College – Selma (Ala.) 3-0
· Lady Bulldogs win two straight matches for only the third time in the last two seasons.
· Tougaloo opens season 2-0 for first time since starting play in 2010.
Mobile (Ala.) defeats Xavier (La.) 3-1
· Xavier has not started a season 2-0 since starting play in 2010.
· Have lost three straight to Mobile and 4 of last 5 since 2013.
· CeCe Williams with 11 kills and 17 digs in losing effort.
· Franziska Pirkl with 37 assists and 16 digs for Xavier.
Ave Maria defeats Edward Waters 3-0
· Edward Waters starts season 0-2 for second consecutive season.
· Host Concordia-Selma at 2:00 PM Saturday and Florida Memorial College at 6:00 PM
University of the Cumberlands defeats Talladega 3-1
Men’s Cross Country
Big Easy Opener
· Won by Power Miller Track Club
· Xavier finishes second, Dillard finishes third
Women’s Cross Country
Big Easy Opener
· Xavier wins, Dillard finishes second
· Xavier senior Zahri Jackson individual winner
· Fourth career win, first since GCAC Championship in 2012