LAFAYETTE – The Louisiana Ragin’ Cajuns football team hits the road for the first time this season as it opens a two-game roadtrip beginning Saturday (Sept. 24) against Tulane at Yulman Stadium.
Kickoff for the game is slated for 7 p.m.
The game will be streamed live on ESPN3 with Joel Meyers (play-by-play) and Chad Brown (analyst) on the call. The game will also be carried statewide on the Louisiana Ragin’ Cajuns Radio Network with Jay Walker (play-by-play), Richie Falgout (color) and Travis Webb (sideline) providing the commentary.
Louisiana (2-1, 1-0 SBC) opened Sun Belt Conference play last week with a 28-23 victory over South Alabama behind a 223-yard rushing performance from senior Elijah McGuire. Quarterback Anthony Jennings threw three TD passes while Al Riles caught six passes for a career-high 139 yards and a touchdown.
Tre’maine Lightfoot (10 tackles) and Otha Peters (nine tackles) led a defensive unit that allowed 74 yards on the ground and 338 yards of total offense.
Tulane (1-2, 0-1 AAC), under first-year coach Willie Fritz, dropped a 21-14 decision to Navy in the American Athletic Conference opener last week in New Orleans. The Green Wave opened the season with a 7-3 loss at Wake Forest before running away from in-state opponent Southern, 66-21.
The meeting between Louisiana and Tulane is the 28th in school history and is the first regular-season contest between the schools in the Crescent City since 1999. The Ragin’ Cajuns claimed four of five regular-season meetings in New Orleans between 1988-95, including a 32-28 win in the 1995 contest at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome.
Louisiana Ragin’ Cajuns (2-1, 1-0 SBC) at Tulane Green Wave (1-2, 0-1 AAC)
Sept. 24, 2016 • 7:04 p.m. • New Orleans, La. • Yulman Stadium (30,000)
ESPN3 • Joel Meyers (PXP) • Chad Brown (Analyst)
KPEL 1420 AM • Jay Walker (PXP) • Richie Falgout (Analyst) • Travis Webb (Sideline)
Series History: Tulane leads, 21-6 *
In Lafayette: Louisiana leads 2-1 * | In New Orleans: Tulane leads, 19-5 *
First Meeting: Oct. 18, 1911 at New Orleans • Tulane, 27-0
Last Meeting: Dec. 21, 2013 at New Orleans • Louisiana, 24-21* (vacated)
Head Coach: Mark Hudspeth (Delta State, 1992) • @ULCoachHud
Record at UL: 20-25 (sixth season), Career Record: 86-46 (13th season)
Head Coach: Willie Fritz (Pittsburg State, 1983)
Record at Tulane: 1-2 (1st season), Career Record: 194-76-1 (24th season)
5 THINGS TO KNOW
• Elijah McGuire enters tonight’s game needing 212 all-purpose yards to pass Tyrell Fenroy (5,231) as the Ragin’ Cajuns all-time leader.
• With 5,020 all-purpose yards in his career, McGuire is one of four active FBS players with 5,000 all-purpose yards.
• McGuire enters tonight’s contest tied with Alonzo Harris (270) for third-place in school history in scoring.
• The Ragin’ Cajuns have 21 players from the New Orleans Metropolitan Area (Orleans, Jefferson, St. Charles, St. John, St. Tammany and Plaquemines Parishes) on its 2016 roster.
• Tonight’s game is the fifth straight played in the state of Louisiana for the Ragin’ Cajuns after playing their last four games at home dating back to the 2015 finale.