A first-time event in a first-time venue should make for an exciting Saturday night inside Smoothie King Center.
Arenacross makes its Crescent City debut, as does a new format to decide the series champion.
Taking a page from NASCAR, Arenacross has reset the series points for a six-week Race to the Championship, which begins Saturday.
Tickets for Saturday night’s event are still available through Ticketmaster or the Smoothie King Center box office. Saturday night’s event will include an autograph session with Supercross legend and Louisiana native Kevin Windham, who will serve as grand marshal of the evening’s activities.
Kyle Regal of Grand Prairie, Texas, moved into the points lead last weekend in Southaven, Mississippi, with a pair of main event wins. The top 10 who will compete for the Race to the Championship beginning on Saturday, with their reset point totals:
1. Kyle Regal, Grand Prairie, Texas, Husqvarna – 6
2. Matt Goerke, Temecula, Calif., Kawasaki – 5
3. Jacob Hayes, Liberty, N.C., Kawasaki – 4
4. Bobby Kiniry, Holland Patent, N.Y., Yamaha – 4
5. Travis Sewell, Westville, Ind., KTM – 3
6. Chris Blose, Phoenix, Ariz., Kawasaki – 3
7. Gavin Faith, Fort Dodge, Iowa, Husqvarna – 2
8. Gared Steinke, Temecula, Calif., KTM – 2
9. Steven Mages, Sardinia, Ohio, KTM – 1
10. Cory Green, Nowata, Okla., Suzuki – 1
Sewell visited with SportsNOLA on Friday to preview Saturday’s competition and the series’ newest venue in New Orleans.